Theme - Characters Can Teach Us

Friday, April 27, 2018


Another fabulous mini-lesson from Jennifer Serravallo in Reading Strategies. We are still focused on theme and have just finished Three Times Lucky. Oh my goodness... I have never done a read aloud that my students loved as much as that book! It had an excellent ending and kept us page-turning the whole time.


This mini lesson was another addition to our Theme strategies chart (my students will refer to this chart for their theme activities during their book clubs... when they read they will have to choose one of the strategies to practice before their next meeting and bring evidence) In this mini lesson the students chose one character from the book. They, of course, chose the main character, Mo. Then, I had them list her main traits and evidence for each. After that, I added the sentence stem "In life....I think this because....." This way, they are taking the characters actions and traits to develop their understanding of the theme. My students loved this strategy and seem to have latched on to it with great understanding. Having a list of strategies has been great for my students as some like some strategies more than others. Thanks again Kate Roberts for "A Novel Approach". Changed my reading block completely!

No comments